Everyone living in a residence hall room is responsible for their room's condition at the time of check-out. It is important for roommates to develop a plan together for cleaning and getting the room back to its original move-in state. Arrangements must be made with Housing and Food Services before finals to collect anything left in storage. There is no storage available for students who will be returning for the fall semester. All students must check out and leave the residence halls by 2:00 p.m. the day following their last final examination.
To avoid charges for damages and additional clean-up, please follow these move-out instructions:
- Remove all personal belongings from your room.
- Remove all decorations, stickers, and tape/putty from surfaces.
- Clean the furniture, including shelves, interiors of drawers, etc.
- Clean any common areas in your room – bathrooms, hallways, study areas, etc.
- Sweep/vacuum the floor.
- Clean the entire unit inside and out.
- Defrost refrigerator, but make sure to keep the unit plugged in and turned on.
- Return furniture to its original location.
- Take all trash to the dumpster.
- If you have subscribed to premium cable TV service, be sure to disconnect the service and make final billing arrangements.
- Schedule an inspection time with Housing and Food Services.
- Staff will inspect the room and make note of any damages.
When you are ready to check out:
- Turn off all lights.
- Lock and secure your door.
Please check with Housing and Food Services or your RA if you have any questions about check-out. Any charges incurred from damages or for additional cleaning will be assessed by Housing and Food Services after check-out.